The all-important question: I want my registered charity to qualify for the $10,000 quarterly award. What do I do?
In the short term, nothing. Only members of 100 Men Who Give a Damn! Annapolis Valley can nominate a charity to be eligible to receive the quarterly $10,000 donation. (Hint: if you know someone who is a member of 100 Men Who Give a Damn! Annapolis Valley, you may want to politely nudge them and ask them to nominate your charity).
From there, we look to the eligibility criteria:
Only members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – Annapolis Valley are eligible to nominate a charity/organization. There is no proxy voting.
In order to be considered to present at a meeting the charity must be:
- Based in the Annapolis Valley.
- A registered charitable organization able to provide charitable tax receipts for donations.
- Previously established for at least 1 year (no start-ups).
- No national or international charities, programs or organizations will be considered at this time as the focus is on contributing to our local community. Organizations with a national link may be nominated, however, provided the request is for a project to be delivered in the Annapolis Valley. The funds must stay in the Annapolis Valley.
- Programs within a large organization (e.g., a specific department or program within a hospital), will be considered if there is proof that this program is not funded by the organization or its foundation.
- Members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – Annapolis Valley may nominate a charitable organization for consideration upon joining/renewing.
- Three (3) charities, previously verified as eligible by the core team, will be selected by blind draw one month prior to an event.
- Once notified of their selection, nominated charities are required to keep their participation strictly confidential prior to the meeting.
- Representatives of the selected charities will make a 5-minute presentation at the meeting (without aid of props, slides or PowerPoint etc.) and then leave the room.
- Members of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – Annapolis Valley will vote by secret ballot to select one of the three presenting charities to receive all the donations that evening.
- The organization with the greatest number of votes will be the recipient of the total funds donated and will be ineligible to receive funds from 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – Annapolis Valley for three (3) years.
- The two charities not selected may be nominated again in one year’s time.
- All three selected charities may bring brochures, which may be left at the back of the room after their presentations.
- The recipient charity must agree to provide tax receipts directly to the donors and to announce the expected mailing date of those receipts to the members on the evening of their selection.
- The recipient charity must on first contact with each donor, ask how frequently the donor can be contacted in the future. Charities are not to assume the donors wish to be on the charity’s mailing list.
- A request will be made of the recipient charity to present an update on their use of the donation at one of the next 2 meetings of 100 Men Who Give A Damn! – Annapolis Valley.
- 100 Men Who Give a Damn! – Annapolis Valley reserves the right to amend these eligibility criteria when appropriate, without consultation with the nominated charities.